Battle of Novi
August 15, 1799
The combined Austrian and Russian army led by General Suvorov was successfully retaking the lands the areas taken by General Bonaparte and the Army of Italy in 1796 and 1797. The French Army led by General Joubert attempted to stop the Allies at Novi, but Joubert was killed near the onset of the battle. After fierce fighting the French were defeated, losing control of most of Italy.
- Chandler, David G. Dictionary of the Napoleonic Wars. New York: Macmillan Publishing, 1979.
- Smith, Digby. The Greenhill Napoleonic Wars Data Book. London: Greenhill Books: 1998.
- French commander Joubert
- French deputy commander Moreau
- French chief of staff Suchet
- French left wing commander Pérignon
- French right wing commander Gouvion St. Cyr
Updated March 2016
© Nathan D. Jensen